MISSION AND PURPOSES
To promote personal growth and leadership development through Family and Consumer Sciences education. Focusing on the multiple roles of family member, wage earner and community leader, members develop skills for life through: character development, creative and critical thinking, interpersonal communication, practical knowledge, and career preparation.
- To provide opportunities for personal development and preparation for adult life
- To strengthen the function of the family as a basic unit of society
- To encourage democracy through cooperative action in the home and community
- To encourage individual and group involvement in helping achieve global cooperation and harmony
- To promote greater understanding between youth and adults
- To provide opportunities for making decisions and for assuming responsibilities.
- To prepare for the multiple roles of men and women in today’s society
- To promote Family and Consumer Sciences and related occupations
Family, Career and Community Leaders of America is the only in-school student organization with the family as its central focus. FCCLA is a career and technical student organization that functions as an integral part of the Family and Consumer Sciences education curriculum and operates within the school system, and it provides opportunities for active student participation at local, state, and national levels.
FCCLA has a national membership of over 160,000 young men and women in nearly 5,300 chapters. There are 49 state associations including the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Since its founding in 1945, FCCLA has involved more than nine million youth. Former members are eligible to become members of Alumni & Associates.