If you have any questions or need further information, please contact our STAR Events Coordinator at [email protected]
The 2016-2017 competitive events hosted by the Louisiana Association of Family, Career and Community Leaders of America are:
- Career Investigation
- Chapter In Review Display and Portfolio
- Chapter Service Project Display and Portfolio
- Culinary Arts
- Fashion Construction
- Fashion Design
- Focus on Children
- Food Innovations
- Hospitality, Tourism, and Recreation
- Illustrated Talk
- Job Interview
- Life Event Planning
- National Programs in Action
- Nutrition and Wellness
- Parliamentary Procedure
- Promote and Publicize
- Recycle and Redesign
- Sports Nutrition
Family and Consumer Sciences Skills Tests
During State Leadership Conference, eleven (11) Louisiana Skills Test will be administered during STAR Events competitions. Test registration is $5 per test. These tests are open to any member not competing in STAR Events. Tests being administered are:
- Child Development
- Consumer Math
- Creed, Mission & Purpose
- Education & Training
- Fashion Design
- Interior Design
- Job Interview
- Parliamentary Procedure
Competitive Event Resources
STAR Event Policies
General Policies for Both Regional and State Competition:
- Participants must affiliate by November 1st of the current school year to be eligible for participation in regional practice events and run for state office. Second semester participants must affiliate by January 23rd of the current school year to be eligible for state competition.
- Participants MUST use the current National FCCLA STAR Events Manual and the Louisiana STAR Events Packet for event guidelines. The FCCLA STAR Events Manual is available only in an online version on the national website. Also remember to consult the state (www.lafcclainc.org) and national (www.fcclainc.org) websites for guideline revisions and more information that will be posted throughout the year.
- All events will follow current National FCCLA STAR Events guidelines within the manual. In Louisiana, the Focus on Children event is no longer required to help prevent child abuse.
- STAR EVENTS RULES CLARIFICATIONS: See the current National STAR Events Manual and refer to the STAR Events Glossary. The glossary was developed to clarify some of the questions about terms in the FCCLA STAR Events Manual. Be SURE to read the glossary thoroughly, as it pertains to ALL contests.
- Clarification for file folder definition: In the glossary, you will see a picture as well as a definition of file folder. You must follow this format when preparing folders. You may use a straight cut file or a tabbed file. Note: the label is applied to the front of the file as shown in the picture. Within the file folder, each set of materials should be stapled separately. Review the STAR Events glossary for more details.
- Clarification of the term “Chapter”: Each affiliated chapter may enter one individual or team per event per category. For example:
XYZ High School FCCLA could enter up to three teams or individuals for Illustrated Talk if they had a participant that qualified to compete in each category; Junior, Senior and Occupational. (Students may only enter events at the Occupational Level if they are affiliated as occupational members. To be classified as an occupational member the student must be enrolled in an occupational course, including but not limited to, ProStart or Early Childhood Education.)
There are two teachers, Jane and Sally, at XYZ High School. They affiliate one chapter called, XYZ High School FCCLA, and list Jane as the Advisor and Sally as the co-advisor. Although there are two teachers at this school, they may enter ONE individual or team per event per category because they only have ONE CHAPTER.
There are two teachers, Mary and Susan, at XYZ High School. Mary and Susan affiliate their chapters separately naming one XYZ High School FCCLA and the other XYZ Career Zone FCCLA. They complete two separate affiliation forms, rosters and submit two different checks. They may each enter one individual or team per event per category because they are separate chapters. There would be two entries per category per event from the SCHOOL, but still only one per chapter.
- Regional Practice and Feedback Event:
- See the above listing for the STAR Events that may take part in the regional level before state competition for practice and feedback only (no competition) if the region chooses to hold this practice session.
- Each region will decide on whether or not to hold their own regional practice and feedback session and announce its decision to its respective region.
- Any cost of Regional STAR Events Practice registration for judges, etc. will be determined by the respective region.
- There will be no medals or awards given regarding placement as there will be no competition at this event. Score sheets will not be used or kept for regional records but will be given only to the school’s adviser for feedback purposes immediately after the presentation.
- State Competition:
- The cost of State STAR Events competition will be $7.00 per contestant for each event with the exception of Culinary Arts. The cost of State Culinary Arts competition will be $25 per team.
- Chapters are required to submit ONE evaluator volunteer for every FIVE students registered to compete in STAR Events.
- All issues relating to State STAR Events competitions should be reported to the STAR Events Coordinator or State Director. Any chapter member, adviser or chaperone that directly questions a room consultant or evaluator may cause their team or teams to be disqualified.
- In State STAR Events competitions where no gold medal is awarded OR the gold medal winner chooses not to compete at the National level, the top silver medal winner will be given the opportunity to represent LA at National STAR Events Competition. In the situation that no gold medal is awarded, the silver medal winner will not be announced as “representing LA at National Competition” during the awards session. A special meeting will be held following the awards session with advisers of these competitors ONLY, to apprise them of the opportunity.
- The Evaluator’s decision is final except in the case that there is more than a 10 point spread between judges’ scores and there are THREE judges.